Going to summer camp in America is a right of passage for most kids, and there’s a camp to suit every need. Whether the kids want to spend the summer playing football, tennis, acting or even losing weight their parents can pack them up and send them off to enjoy a brilliant summer with all their camp friends.
Camp is expensive for kids to go to and their parents savings account definitely takes a big hit. For the best camps in America you’re looking at around £500+ a week, but there are community day camps which can be enjoyed for free too, and everything in between. Despite this summer camps remain hugely popular with no sign of stopping. There are more than a thousand summer camps in the USA and according to the American Camping Association over 8 million kids attend them every year.
Having been to camp it’s obvious to see why they’re so popular, but for anyone wondering exactly why here are a few pointers…
- They’re a lot of fun for kids
- Summer camps allow the kids to spend the summer on their passions
- They can actually work out as good value childcare for the summer
- Those who are bullied at school can be the coolest kids on camp
- It’s a chance to be someone else away from the kids at school
- Busy parents want their kids to be entertained over the summer
- The kids get to experience life away from their parents
- It’s a great way to make friends across the whole of America with the same interests
- Which camp the kids go to can be a status symbol for the parents
- It becomes addictive
- It’s traditional
From the Babysitter’s Club books to Camp Rock to Glee kids in America are primed to be ready for camp as soon as possible. Children from 5-17 go bac every year and as soon as they’re old enough they become super counselors and then full blown counselors looking after other kids like they were.
For the kids, going to camp in America is a time to explore themselves and other people. It’s time to find out what they enjoy in life independently of their parents and lifelong friends. They can be exactly who they are and for most children, that’s a huge appeal.