Today’s guest post comes from Patrick…
Deciding what to carry and what not to is a challenging task. A camp counselor is the teacher and the director of the many services needed at camp and you need to make everything is right, starting with the packing list. You may be stationed at a camp out in the wilderness so try and make sure you take everything you need beforehand.
Clothes: As a camp counselor you should do good research regarding where your camp is and the facilities surrounding it. This is a crucial aspect in knowing what kind of clothes you should pack. Ensure that the clothes are sturdy and comfortable because most activities done in camps will take their toll on your clothes and you want them to last the summer!
First Aid Kit: As a camp counselor, a first aid kit should be the first item to enter your packing bag. Of course there will be a nurse on camp but it’s always good to be prepared. Ensure that all the medications in the first aid kit are genuine and that they have the right dosage instructions
Other stuff: Camp counselors should find out what is provided and what is not. Things like bedding, laundry necessities, flashlights and batteries may not always be necessary. For camping activities, sunscreens are a must-carry. Carry lip balms, sunglasses and hats to avoid painful sunburns.
- Remember to carry everything that will offer comfort and cleanliness. Things like toothpaste, deodorants, shampoos, soap and extra towels are essential for your happiness and health.
- Carry healing ointments, some bandages and sprays for sunburns.
- Don’t forget the insect repellent.
- Don’t forget to carry a camera for the photo opportunities
- Take a water bottle to have with you at all times.
- Never carry expensive clothes or jewellery. Remember there is no privacy in camps and no permanent place. You’ll be too busy to look after them.
- If you suffer from homesickness, just leave anything that will remind you of home all the time.
- Never be caught with things not allowed in camping like knives or fireworks. Any weapon is highly discouraged.