This is a very difficult question.
If like me you see some shops with goods a bit cheaper than at home and go nuts, you’ll need more than the average.
Things I could spend money on at camp included:
- Sweets from the vending machines
- Alcohol at the local Golf Club on nights off
- Alcohol in the local town on nights off
- Complete shit at Walmart (this is where most of it went)
- Excursions: Niagara Falls, New York etc
- Food on days off
- Spending money on days off
- Sweets at the local cinema
That’s about it, but of course, it depends how much you spend at these things.
If I’d lived totally basically during my 12 weeks at camp – and that means no booze, sweets and eating their food whenever possible – but still enjoying days off and going on excursions I reckon I would have needed $900 to make it through the summer.
In reality I probably spent at least twice as much as this. I went out with my fellow co counselors at every opportunity and would never miss out on doing something fun on my day off. I also needlessly spent money on sweets from the vending machine just because it felt weird not buying anything for so long.
How much money you need will also depend on when you get paid at camp as this can sometime help offset the cost.