Before Camp / Top tips

How to Get a CRB Check for Camp in America

CRB stands for ‘Criminal Records Bureau’ and you have to get a check from them to work at any camp in America. This is so the camp knows that you are clear to work with children and vulnerable adults and have never been in trouble with the law.

The CRB check searches your details against criminal records, the Police National Computer and the Independent Safeguarding Authority. If you have any, the check will reveal convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings.

To apply for a CRB

  1. Phone the CRB application line on 0870 90 90 811.
  2. Give the name and number of the organisation asking you for a CRB check (usually CCUSA, BUNAC, Camp America or Camp Leaders) and the level of check, either standard or enhanced, you need.
  3. A paper application form will then be sent to you.
  4. Fill it in. For more tips on how to get the CRB application form correct first time round, check out the directgov website.
  5. Give your completed form to the person who asked you to apply for the check, along with original documents as evidence of identity, any continuation sheet/s and payment.
  6. They will then check your documents and complete the final sections of the form and send it to the CRB.
  7. Make a note of your application form reference number as you’ll need this if you want to track the progress of your application.
  8. It normally takes 10 days for a standard check and four weeks for an enhanced check to come back to you.
  9. Check every detail and if you think anything is wrong check out the troubleshooter before getting in touch with the CRB office.
  10. Do NOT forget to take it to camp with you!

The cost to you

Your check will cost £26 for the usual standard CRB check, or if your camp requests an enhanced check it will be £44.


CRB helpline for all general enquiries: 0870 9090 811
8.00 am to 8.00 pm on weekdays
10.00 am to 5.00 pm on Saturday (closed Sunday and public holidays)


You must provide one of the following documents:

  • passport
  • driving licence (UK) (full or provisional) Isle of Man/Channel Islands; either photocard or paper (a photocard is only valid if presented with the associated counterpart licence; except Jersey)
  • birth certificate (UK and Channel Islands) – issued within 12 months of date of birth – full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces
  • ID card for foreign nationals
  • EU National ID card
  • HM Forces ID card (UK)
  • firearms licence (UK)
  • adoption certificate (UK and Channel Islands)

Please note, if you can’t provide any of the documents above, you must provide five from the list below.

You must also provide two of the following:

  • marriage/civil partnership certificate
  • bank/building society statement*
  • credit card statement*
  • P45/P60 statement**
  • National Insurance card
  • NHS card (UK & Channel Islands)
  • insurance certificate**
  • exam certificate eg GCSE, NVQ, O levels, degree
  • Connexions card; including those cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK and Channel Islands)
  • General Medical Council certificate
  • benefit statement* – eg child allowance, pension
  • document from central/local government/government agency/local authority giving entitlement to benefits* – eg to state benefits, housing benefit
  • replacement birth certificate, eg a certificate not issued within 12 months of birth
  • vehicle registration document (document V5 old style and V5C new style only)
  • documentation issued by court services*
  • letter from a headteacher*
  • store card statement *
  • utility bill* – electricity, gas, water, telephone – including mobile phone contract/bill
  • addressed payslip*
  • mail order catalogue statement*
  • financial statement ** eg pension, endowment, ISA
  • council tax bill for current year (UK and Channel Islands)**
  • court claim form** (UK)
  • TV licence**
  • mortgage statement **
  • work permit/visa (UK) **
  • CRB, Disclosure Scotland and ISA Certificate (UK)**
  • one of the following documents from the United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA) (formerly the BIA Borders & Immigration Agency) & Immigration & Nationality Directorate (IND) Do not use more than one of the following documents: Convention Travel Document (CTD) – Blue; Stateless Person’s Document (SPD) – Red; Certificate of Travel (CIT) – Brown; AsylumApplication Registration Card (ARC)

Documents with 1* must have been issued within three months of your application date
Documents with 2 ** must have been issued within 12 months of your application date
Documents without a * can be more than 12 months old but must still be valid.

Cheers for the Flickr Pix John-Morgan!

Working in America

Tags: , , ,


  1. Kilpatrick says:

    I’ve been surfing online more than three hours as of late, but I never found any fascinating article like yours.

  2. Genuinely helpful. Continue to keep those types of posts coming.

  3. Boria Bayne says:

    I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the structure to your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it your self? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s uncommon to see a great blog like this one today.

  4. Sia Hoberg says:

    Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed! Thank you and best of luck.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>