To apply for camp with AmeriCamp…
- You must be 18 by 1 June of the year you want to go.
- You should be available to depart sometime from 1 May and mid-June at the latest.
- You have to be available for a minimum of nine weeks until mid-August at the earliest.
- You must be fluent in English.
If you’ve answered a yes to all, then here’s the process of getting to camp with AmeriCamp laid out plainly in 30 steps!
- Read every page of the AmeriCamp website.
- Fill in the application form by:
- – Deciding on the skills you want to use
- – Uploading photos
- – Making a video
- – Completing all personal details
- – Deciding which kind of camp you want to work on
- Once your application is complete you’ll hear from them in 24hrs to arrange your interview.
- Pay £20 to secure your interview, which also covers a drink while you’re there.
- Organise a time to suit you and your interviewer (or attend the AmeriCamp Virtual Recruitment Fair and save £20).
- Sort medical disclosure
- Get two references
- Send off for your CRB check
- Go to interview with medical disclosure and references
- You will soon hear if you’ve been accepted, if you are…
- Sit back and relax while your application circulates round 1000s of camps
- Check your AmeriCamp online application for updates
- Get hired
- Pay the remaining £179/£159 for medical insurance and departure fees within 10 days of placement
- Gather as much info about your camp as possible online
- Buy and read Secret Diary of a Camp Counselor so you know what you’re letting yourself in for
- Go to one of the crazy fun orientations in the UK
- Arrange your visa interview at the American Embassy in London
- Go to the interview with all your documents and passport
- Pack your bags
- Get to the airport
- Don’t miss your flight
- Go to your overnight orientation in the US
- Get the bus to your camp
- Have the best summer ever!
And that’s it!
You can start applying for the following year from March the previous year, and they accept applications until the March before the summer you want to go. Get your applications in early to get the best chance of attending a camp you want teaching the skill you like.