If you’ve read my book Secret Diary of a Camp Counselor you’re probably looking forward to a summer of enjoying the nightlife as much as the daylife. The camp I went to had a massive social scene and we did get drunk… a lot. But you shouldn’t expect this.
Some camps won’t want you to drink at all and if you’re caught doing it, you could be fired.
This blog post is probably going to sound a bit like your mum talking, but I just don’t want you to think all camps are like mine and that you can go around getting drunk all the time, like we did
- The legal drinking age in the USA is 21.
- You could be arrested if you’re caught drinking or attempting to buy drink if you’re younger than this.
- Alcohol at camp is the top reason for counselors being fired. Either from possessing it illegally, or being drunk on the camp grounds.
- If you’re camp says they don’t want you to drink, then don’t.
- Hangovers at camp really aren’t that fun and if you’re the type that’s physically sick the next day just don’t even bother.
- Next time you’re hungover just imagine looking after 20 hyperactive 12-year-olds and think how you’d feel.
- You’re a role model so don’t be an idiot. I know I’ve written a book about it, but I’m actually quite embarrassed about some of the stuff I did at camp and I’d be mortified if my mum read it!
- Think about if the kids were your children and they were being looked after on the climbing wall by some hungover wreck head who just wanted to be in bed. You wouldn’t be happy!
If your camp has a good social scene then lucky you – just don’t ruin it by going too far.